Monday, August 24, 2015

Week 7 Assignment 2

A Not-So-Young Audience for Young Adult Books from The New York Times and
Not Just for Teens from Library Journal




After reading both articles, I found myself agreeing with both authors. I have always had an interest in young adult books, but when my oldest daughter started reading them more heavily, I found myself going to HER for recommendations. (She gets a kick out of this.) I wasn't surprised in the peak of YA e-reader materials. Why? I have encountered adults who seem shy or nervous about asking for the YA best seller. I could never understand why, but I think it is the stigma of being caught in public reading a YA book when you are over 19. I disagree with Ms. Graham's comment about people should feel embarrassed if they are reading books written for children. I think it's poppycock! (Granted I will read Pete the Cat in public and not blink an eye, so I might not be the best to look at in this regard.) I, like many librarians, have stacks of books that I "must read" but I don't care if its YA, Children, or Adult. A good book is a good book, regardless of what age group it is classified for. Yes, some would argue that I am a librarian and I am supposed to read books of all genre, age groups, etc. Let me tell you something...there are times I can relate to a YA book much more than an adult book. Plus, this gives me another opportunity to relate to my fifteen year old daughter. (If you can have discussions with a teenager and they LIKE it, that do it!) Overall, neither article really shocked me in the information they provide, just reiterated what I already knew and believed.



No comments:

Post a Comment