Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Week 7 Assignment 3

I had ideas of what is trending in teen fiction because I have the inside scoop. A bookworm 15-year-old teenage daughter who tells me what is "cool". So I decided to write down what I thought was popular in the Teen World, talk to her, and then look on the websites provided to see how accurate I was. I believed Series, Social Issues, (Relationships/Friendship, Dating, Sex, etc.), Dystopias, and LGBT. It seems, according to my know-it-all daughter, that seemed like a reasonable deduction. I'll admit, when I looked at HarperTeen and Little Brown Books for Teen, I was close, but there were a few surprises.




HarperTeen introduced me to several books that discussed social issues such as dating, friendship, coping with loss, and other typical teenage anguishes that we have all went through at some point in our teenage journey. Some of the books featured where The Lies about Truth by Courtney Stevens and 17 First Kisses by Rachael Allen. What surprised me where books that were upcoming based on fairy tales. It appears authors are pulling from classics and creating modern twists; such as Mirrored by Alex Flinn which is a modernized version of Snow White and Ash & Bramble by Sarah Prineas which is portrayed as the "real" story behind Cinderella.




Little Brown Books for Teens was very similar to HarperTeen. Books focuses on high school, dating, and overall relationships seem to be the continuing trend in the world of teen fiction. Books like Kissing Ten Callahan (and Other Guys) by Amy Spalding seem to take a comedic spin on the trials and tribulation of being a teenage, but then you have Those Girls by Lauren Saft would talk about how friends can smile in your face and then stab you in the back. The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black continues on with a blend of LGBT and fantasy. Overall, I feel that teen trends remain pretty consistent until there is a sudden peak in something that ventures from the norm.

No comments:

Post a Comment