Friday, September 25, 2015

Week 9 Assignment 2

When it comes to book trailers, I tend to cringe because, like both authors mentioned in the articles, THEY ARE HORRIBLE! A trailer should be like a book talk, you give the audience just enough to grab their attention to actually read the book. I feel like most trailers scare people away. The only exception I would say is James Patterson. I like his trailers because he does a great job at selling his books and his trailers look like they could be the trailers for actual movies/television shows.


When it comes to marketing, a well-known author like James Patterson doesn't need to do much. He could have a commercial that says, "I'm James Patterson. My new book is __________. It will be released on _____________." And he will be on the NYT Bestseller's List. For authors that are not as well known...I understand that Marketing departments don't want to take a chance at doing a huge trailer for a book that may bomb, but COME ON! I'd rather they put that money towards book tours than cheesy book trailers.


Personally, I have never, and may never use a book trailer for readers' advisory for a couple reasons. One, I don't have the time to go hunting for a book trailer across the Internet. They are so hard to find and the customer would have already walked away by the time I locate it...if one even exists. Two, if the book is something I have already read, and/or I am familiar with the appeal factors of the book, I find it easier just to do an on-the-spot book talk. At the end of the day, I say majority of the book trailers are horrible and are not worth the time to watch and if it is a NYT best-selling author, their name alone is enough to ensure books will be sold. Trailers are not needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment